Welcome to MVLC
At MVLC Learning is Local
The Merrimack Valley Library Consortium (MVLC) is an alliance of 36 public libraries serving the Greater Merrimack Valley region of Massachusetts. Use the MVLC on-line catalog to search the collections of our member libraries. Choose books, CD's, DVD's and more!
Connect with your local library
Your MVLC library card is your key to unlock free eBooks, databases and more! Connect with your local public library and discover the world! Click here for a list of MVLC member libraries and contact information.
Download Free Ebooks!
Download and read free OverDrive and Safari eBooks using your MVLC library card 24 hours a day, seven days a week!
Access Free Databases!
Check out the entire list of free databases, brought to you courtesy of your local library.
When it comes to efficiency, libraries wrote the book
Since 2001 funding to all types of libraries across the Commonwealth through the Massachusetts has dropped by 37% while libraries experienced a dramatic surge of 50% in library visits. Through cooperation, consolidation, and the use of the latest technology, libraries were able to meet the growing demand for library services during the funding decline.
2014 Massachusetts library statistics by the numbers
- 22,000 - The number of people using their library’s internet every day (not including WiFi)
- 4 million - The number of worldwide views of Library for the Commonwealth’s digitized collections in the past year
- 14.3 million The number of items that were delivered by the Massachusetts Library System through Interlibrary Loan last year
- 58 million - The number of items borrowed by Massachusetts residents last year—about 110 per minute
- $1.05 - State Aid funding to libraries per Massachusetts resident
- 1/10th of 1% - The percentage of the state’s budget that goes to support libraries
The challenge for libraries is to ensure that local and state budgets help libraries improve the services that they offer their communities. Residents of Massachusetts need more... the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners presents a FY2016 Legislative Agenda that considers the current economic reality and requests funding that will continue to improve core services.
The MVLC Catalog is Now Mobile-Friendly!
Our catalog is now mobile-friendly! You can access all of the content and services available through our catalog - check library holdings, place holds, and access your borrower account - in a format that’s easy to read and quick to load using the browser on your mobile device.
Internet Explorer 10 and the Virtual Catalog
We have had several reports of compatibility issues between the Statewide Virtual Catalog and Internet Explorer 10. The Virtual Catalog software cannot be updated to fix these problems, so we recommend that users who are experiencing problems put their Internet Explorer 10 browser into compatibility mode.
How to put Internet Explorer 10 into compatibility mode:
- Start Internet Explorer 10
- Press F12 to open the developer tools window (appears at the bottom of the screen)
- On the top of the developer tools window click on "Browser Mode" and select "Internet Explorer 10 Compatibility Mode"
- Press F12 again to hide the developer tools window
PLEASE NOTE: The regular MVLC Catalog does not have these problems, just the Statewide Virtual Catalog.
If You Have Trouble Accessing Your Account or Placing Holds...
We've received reports from some users who are having trouble accessing or using their patron account since our recent update.
If you're experiencing issues, clearing your browser's cache and deleting all stored cookies from your browser will, in most cases, solve the problem.
If that doesn't work, the next step would be deleting any saved passwords. With recent versions of Firefox, you can view your password file and delete any specific to MVLC. With recent versions of IE, you'll likely need to delete all saved passwords.
If you're unfamiliar with how to do this, using a search engine such as Google and using your browser name and version and what you wish to to, e.g. "clearing cache and cookies" as your search terms should return instructions on how to do this for your specific browser.
We apologize for any inconvenience.
Databases accessible to MVLC Patrons
Contact us by EMAIL at NetMail@MVLC.org