Welcome to MVLC
Internet Explorer 10 and the Virtual Catalog
We have had several reports of compatibility issues between the VC and Internet Explorer 10. The Virtual Catalog software cannot be updated to fix these problems, so we recommend that users who are experiencing problems put their Internet Explorer 10 browser into compatibility mode.
How to put Internet Explorer 10 into compatibility mode:
- Start Internet Explorer 10
- Press F12 to open the developer tools window (appears at the bottom of the screen)
- On the top of the developer tools window click on "Browser Mode" and select "Internet Explorer 10 Compatibility Mode"
- Press F12 again to hide the developer tools window
The regular MVLC Catalog does not have these problems, just the Virtual Catalog.
A New Catalog is Here!
Introduced on Monday, October 1, this is an updated and improved version of the Evergreen catalog offering many new features that expand what you can do through the catalog while making it easier to use.
Among the enhancements you’ll see:
1. Cleaner, easier-to-navigate interface
2. Improved search speed
3. Ability to view the holdings of your local (or another) library from the Brief Results by clicking on the “Show More Details” button
4. Ability to configure which e-mail notifications you wish to receive from your library
5. Text messaging for holds notification
6. Ability to send a call number to a mobile device via text message
7. Ability to select a preferred “Pickup Location” for requested materials through your patron account
8. Ability to retain your circulation and holds history in your patron account
9. Enhanced Booklist functionality
10. Ability for at-home users to stay logged into the catalog
Watch this space over the next few weeks for information about how to use some of the exciting new features. There is also an updated "Frequently Asked Questions" link at the bottom of any search page for additional information and help in using the new catalog.
If You Have Trouble Accessing Your Account or Placing Holds...
We've received reports from some users who are having trouble accessing or using their patron account since our recent update.
If you're experiencing issues, clearing your browser's cache and deleting all stored cookies from your browser will, in most cases, solve the problem.
If that doesn't work, the next step would be deleting any saved passwords. With recent versions of Firefox, you can view your password file and delete any specific to MVLC. With recent versions of IE, you'll likely need to delete all saved passwords.
If you're unfamiliar with how to do this, using a search engine such as Google and using your browser name and version and what you wish to to, e.g. "clearing cache and cookies" as your search terms should return instructions on how to do this for your specific browser.
We apologize for any inconvenience.
When it comes to efficiency, libraries wrote the book
In the past decade, overall funding to all types of libraries across the Commonwealth through the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners (MBLC) has dropped by 39% while libraries experienced a dramatic surge of 50% in library visits. Through cooperation, consolidation, and the use of the latest technology, libraries were able to meet the growing demand for library services during the funding decline.
The challenge for libraries comes as local and state budget cuts to libraries jeopardize the very services that residents are using more than ever. In order to help libraries continue these services the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners presents a FY2012 Legislative Agenda that considers the current economic reality and requests funding that will maintain core services.
Merrimack Valley Library Consortium
The Merrimack Valley Library Consortium is an alliance of 35 public libraries serving the Greater Merrimack Valley region of Massachusetts. From this page, you can connect to the MVLC on-line catalog and obtain information on the network and all member libraries.
Databases accessible to MVLC Patrons
Contact us by EMAIL at NetMail@MVLC.org